Friday, January 18, 2008

The Hottest Ticket in Town

During a playdate at a friend's house today, a commercial came on tv for the Sesame Street Live show coming to town next month. As one of my friends commented that she was considering buying tickets, I proudly exclaimed that I purchased mine the DAY they went on sale!! Those are words that I never thought would leave my lips (at least not pertaining to Sesame Street Live). Granted, my daughter will be thrilled out of her gourd to see Elmo and all of the Sesame Street characters IN PERSON! and right in front of her on stage. But, I have a feeling that I've crossed the line from laid-back, reasonable adult to the slightly scary mommy that everyone avoids and who can't carry on a conversation that doesn't include the word Elmo. Yikes!

Normally, I would consider spending this much money on one afternoon's entertainment overly extravagant. But I just can't resist the look that I know will be on my daughter's face when we get there and the show starts. That's a memory that I'll treasure for a lifetime and I hope she'll remember years down the road, too. Plus, the show is several days after my birthday, so this will be my only birthday present this year (another thing I never thought I would be happy to say).

And what would the high school me think of the mommy me now? That girl that bought her tickets to Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Van Halen, and Poison the DAY they went on sale? Or even the twenty-something me who sneaked online at school (in every spare moment that my students would allow) to get the BEST seats to the Dixie Chicks show? I have a feeling that both of those me's would be shaking their heads sadly at how completely uncool I've become. But that's okay, because the cool ship sailed into the sunset two years ago when I fell hopelessly and forever in love with a screaming little bundle of pink.

3 comments:

Mojavi said...

seeeeeeeee now that was one of the best posts I have read in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!

brought a tear to my eye at the end! I think the past CCSusans would be proud of the mommy you have become!

I went out to look for tickets and the good times are all sold the only seats left are soooo far away she my as well watch it on tv :) next year when she is two and SSPeanut in 3 we will go together!

Chocolate Covered Susan said...

Thank you! We will definitely make plans to go together next year! Plus by then I'll have been there once and will know where the best seats are.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

hahahaha

I can totally see you and CCPeanut rocking the house and sashaying down the aisles.....

The roof! The roof! She be on fire, yo!