Friday, February 22, 2008

32 Down, 8 to Go!

I can't believe I just finished the 32nd week of this pregnancy! It's going by soooo much more quickly than it did with Chocolate Covered Peanut. And thank goodness I'm not going through the pre-partum (is that a word?) depression that I had with Peanut.

Three months before Peanut was born, my favorite dog (I know, you shouldn't have favorites because they're like children) was diagnosed with cancer. We put her down five weeks later. She was the most sensitive, intuitive, protective, and loving animal I've ever met. She was one of those "once in a lifetime" dogs. It hurt so much to see her so sick and then to lose her. This was nearly three years ago, and I'm still tearing up now just writing about it all. She was just special, and I was really looking forward to being a new mom with her there for moral support. Then she wasn't there anymore, and I just didn't care about the rest of it. I lost all enthusiasm for the pregnancy and just didn't care about anything. Fortunately giving birth to that perfect little baby girl yanked me out of that funk and threw me into the blessings of motherhood.

I think another part of that depression was a fear of the unknown. This time around I know what to expect and that the joys will outweigh the difficulties. So the combination of no tragedies (knock on wood) and fewer unknowns has made this pregnancy much happier and a lot more fun. There are worries, don't get me wrong. But most of them revolve around Peanut and how she'll deal with the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that life will go on and we won't even be able to remember a time without this baby boy in our lives.

3 comments:

Antropóloga said...

Oh, wow, you're almost there! You do seem calm!

Mamma Sarah said...

Found your blog via Rancid Raves... My 2nd little one is due in June and I too am amazed how fast time is going this time around. Prob because we're chasing the 1st around so much. :-D

Mojavi said...

hard to believe it is only 8 more weeks! I can't wait to meet this little CCSomthin' :)