Monday, February 25, 2008

I'm not usually one to get really gushy over material possessions. BUT, I bought something today that I am sooooooo excited about! When Chocolate Covered Peanut was a baby, I completely wore out my front carrier because she hated the stroller and loved to be close to me. I would wear her when we were out (to avoid carrying the bucket). I would wear her on our daily walks. I would wear her all over the house - cleaning, cooking (being cautious of hot/sharp things), reading, surfing the web, even going to the bathroom! When she got too heavy for it, I was wishing there was another option but couldn't find anything that was comfortable.

One day several months ago at a children's museum, a friend and I saw a lady using a baby carrier that I'd never seen before. We stopped to ask her about it and found out that it is positively the most wonderful, comfortable, useful invention ever (not to mention, it lasts forever). I did more research on my own and found out that while it is outrageously expensive, she did not over-sell it. It truly is as good as she said.

So I saved up my Christmas and birthday money, and I bought an Ergo Baby Carrier! It can be used for newborns and is strength tested up to 90 pounds!!! Although, someone please shoot me if I'm still carrying a 90 pound child that is capable of walking. You can wear it on the front, hip, or back. When I got it home and took it out of the box, I nearly fainted when I felt how thick and soft the shoulder straps are. That was my biggest complaint about my old carrier - I would wear it for so long that the straps would fold over and dig into my shoulders. I nearly cried thinking how wonderful it would have been to have known about this when CCPeanut was a baby. Now I really can't wait for this baby boy to get here so I can try it out!

I feel ridiculous being so giddy over a piece of baby gear, but so-help-me this thing could save my sanity (and the safety of my newborn). CCPeanut is going to be a great big sister, but I will not be able to leave this baby alone with her for 10 seconds. That means I'll be wearing this boy in the Ergo to do EVERYTHING. If I can figure out a way to use it in the shower, all the better!

I'll keep you posted once he's born and we've tried it out. I hope I'm not disappointed!

8 comments:

Dee said...

I think having a carrier is definitely more important with the second baby than the first. I'm buying a sling this time around and will probably look for something like the ergo when she gets a bit older.

Chocolate Covered Susan said...

Dee,
I agree! I have a sling, too, and will definitely use it in the early weeks when I'm nursing constantly.

Nick & Lizzy said...

OH MY GOD I LOVE MY ERGO BABY CARRIER!!!! I have used it for both kids and it is the ONE piece of baby equipment I could NEVER do without!!!!

Mojavi said...

yeah I am going to look into them too!!!!! I can at least learn from you using it this time around :)

Mamma Sarah said...

This product looks fantastic and maybe I'll have to go to a store that carries one so I can see it/test it out first hand before spending the big bucks. Lucky for me I have 2 stores that are really close. :-D

I used a sling with Alex and LOVED it so much. Even hubby love it and it helped on those nights where Alex just wanted to fuss instead of sleep.

Christy said...

I have a Snugli carrier, which we never use. I purchased a sling before my baby boy was born, and we are just starting to get some use out of it. I hope the new carrier is as comfy as it sounds.

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I am so jealous and cannot wait to see your Ergo so I can steal it. hee hee

Actually, it is fun to see you get gushy over a purchase. After these 2 years of you watching me endlessly obsess over every purchase I make, eh? :-)

Antropóloga said...

I've heard great things about the Ergo, so neato. I used a sling (New native) and then the Baby Bjorn which worked fine for us.